Old barge Liège was renovated by Le Corbusier in
1929 to create a floating asylum for the Army of
Salvation to provide shelter for homeless people
particularly during the winter months.
The refurbished barge was renamed Louise-Catherine
after the german painter Louise-Catherine Breslau.
Le Corbusier itself explained the project:
"The barge was 80 meters long. We built, from the
bottom to the top a vast space divided into three
compartments. We added 160 beds, a dining room,
kitchens, toilets, sinks, showers, private apartments,
and a hanging garden on the roof of the barge"